First impressions go a long way when it comes to making decisions like buying a house. As a buyer, you can be totally turned off by damaged shingles, unkempt yards, dirty windows, and paint colors that don’t match. As a seller, this is completely avoidable by taking a few steps to ensure your home is as inviting on the outside as it is on the inside. Here we will discuss tips to add curb appeal to your home that will decrease sell time, and command higher prices. Whether you are selling your house or not, a little curb appeal never hurt anyone!
Step 1: Give Your House A Bath
First things first: clean the outside of your house. Just like we spend time cleaning the inside of our homes, the outside is equally as important not only for looks, but to prevent potential damage caused by built-up dirt and grime.
- For the walkway, consider renting a power washer to blast away dirt and stains quickly and effectively.
- Use a soft-bristled brush with a long handle and scrub your house with soap and water. This will gently remove dirt off your brick, siding, vinyl, etc.
- Don’t forget to wash the inside and outside of windows, as well as the garage door to really give your house the shine it needs to catch some attention from potential buyers.
Step 2: Fresh Paint For A Fresh Look
A fresh coat of paint is certainly a must when attempting to add curb appeal to your home!
- It’s recommended that you match the paint you currently have. Scrape off a piece, take it to a local paint store, and have them give you their best match! Remember, less is more, so stick with neutral colors to appeal more to buyers.
- Don’t forget the door! Slap a fresh coat of an inviting color on your front door to really draw eyes to your home.
Step 3: Landscape
Let’s face it: overgrown grass and dead shrubs are not appealing. Besides getting on your neighbors’ last nerve and landing you a ticket from the city, an overgrown lawn can and also lose the interest of a potential homebuyer.
- Mow your grass, leaving crisp edges with no weeds in sight to achieve that freshly groomed look.
- Try planting leafy plants or colorful tulips to add a lush feel and pop of color to the front yard. Potted plants on the porch can add some appeal as well.
- A healthy, green lawn makes a huge difference in the look of a home, so make sure to water and mow regularly!
Step 4: Details, Detail, Details
Small touches like lighting and address plaques can make a big impression!
- Replace door hardware to add to the look of your freshly painted door.
- Add new porch lights to illuminate your entryway at night, increasing the welcoming and inviting look of your home.
- Add a simple yet chic address plaque to easily and creatively distinguish your home.
Step 5: Here’s Where We Come In!
A damaged-looking roof can turn away potential buyers in a hurry! Roof condition is a huge factor that buyers consider and can sometimes be a deal breaker on making a final decision.
- Need to repair or completely replace your roof? We can handle that! Don’t let your roof hold you back from selling your home! Please give us a call or fill out an online quote form so we can help you out today!